Dhruba Prosad Chatterjee
Synthesis of polymer molecules with precise control over their structures and suitable modifications of polymer systems for acheiving different goals in Material Chemistry is the principal focus of my research here. In my research group here, we conduct controlled synthesis of different polymeric systems (homo and block copolymers having various architectures) using mainly controlled radical polymerization techniques such as ATRP, RAFT, NMP etc. Suitable post polymerization modification of the synthesized or commercially available polymers are done for tuning their properties for different applications as stabilizers, adhesives, optoelectronic properties, molecular devices etc. Apart from these, synthesis of novel stimuli responsive nanomaterials and exploration of their exciting properties ranging from catalysis, electronics to biomedical applications are also within my present research focus.
I teach various aspects of fundamental Organic and Physical Chemistry in the undergraduate and post graduate classes with emphasis on stereochemistry of the molecules and their structure- property relationships. Along with providing informations regarding existing applications of different molecules, during my teaching I always focus and encourage my students to extrapolate their thoughts for opening up novel application possibilities with the existing molecules or designging of novel molecules.
M.Sc. from The University of Burdwan in 2000
Ph.D. in Polymer Science from Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science in 2006.
My doctoral work at Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) was basically on Synthetic Polymer Chemistry and characterization of polymers and nano-materials.Soon after completing my Ph.D. I joined Bolpur College as Lecturer in Chemistry in 2006 and after that I moved to Krishnagar Govt. College as Assistant Professor in Chemistry in 2009 where I served for about a period of more than four years prior joining to my present position in Presidency University.
During this period since 2008 to 2013 I have also worked as Research Associate(Honourary) in the Polymer Science Unit of IACS, Jadavpur, Kolkata, India.
Research / Administrative Experience+
will be uploaded soon
Teaching / Other Experience+
Soon after finishing my Ph.D. I joined Bolpur College as Lecturer in Chemistry where I taught different aspects of Organic Chemistry in the undergraduate level for about 3 years and then joined Krishnagar Govt. College as Assistant Professor in Chemistry and there I used to teach various aspects of Organic and Organo Physical Chemistry as basic Polymer Chemistry or Chemistry of Nano materials in the undergraduate level. In Krishnagar Govt. College, I have taught almost of about 4.5 years and during this period apart from teaching of Chemistry I have also taken interdisciplinery disciplines like Environmental Science for the students coming from Science and humanities background both.
Post Graduate Supervision+
I have already Supervised 4 M. Sc. students of Presidency University in their M.Sc. dissertation and presently a couple of M. Sc. students from IIT Kanpur and IIT kharagpur are pursuing their Summer Project.
1. Life member of the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Jadavpur, Kolkata, India
2. Member of Society for Polymer Scientists in India.
3. Life member of Indian Chemical Society
1. "An insight into the schizophrenic self?assembly of thermo and proton sensitive graphene oxide grafted block copolymer" Maity, N.; Kuila, A,; Chatterjee, D. P.; Mandal, D. and AK Nandi. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2016, 54 (24), 3878-3887. (Impact Factor 3.245 ).
2. "Water Soluble Ionic Polythiophenes for Biological and Analytical Applications" Das, S.; Routh, P.; Ghosh, R.; Chatterjee, D. P. and Nandi, A. K., Polymer International, 2016 (In Press)(Impact Factor2.414).
3. "Surfactant-Triggered Fluorescence Turn “on/off” Behavior of a Polythiophene-graft-Polyampholyte" Ghosh, R.; Das, S.; Chatterjee, D. P. and Nandi, A. K. Langmuir, 2016, 32 (33), 8413-8423. (Impact Factor 3.993 ).
4. "Water soluble stimuli-responsive star copolymers with multiple encapsulation and release properties" Das, S.; Chatterjee, D. P.; Ghosh, R. and Nandi, A. K. RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 8773-8785 (Impct Factor 3.289).
5. "Phase Behavior of Poly (vinylidene fluoride)-graft-poly (diethylene glycol methyl ether methacrylate) in Alcohol–Water System: Coexistence of LCST and UCST" Kuila, A,; Maity, N.; Chatterjee, D. P. and, Nandi, A. K., The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2016, 120 (9), 2557-2568 (Impact Factor 3.187).
6. "Water soluble polythiophenes: preparation and applications" Das, S.; Chatterjee, D. P.; Ghosh R. and Arun K. Nandi A. K. RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 20160-20177 (I.F. 3.289).
7. "Temperature triggered antifouling properties of poly(vinylidene fluoride) graft copolymers with tunable hydrophilicity" Kuila, A.; Maity, N.; Chatterjee, D. P. and Nandi A. K. J. Mater. Chem. A, 2015,3, 13546-13555 (I.F. 6.626).
8. "Light induced E–Z isomerization in a multi-responsive organogel: elucidation from 1H NMR spectroscopy" Mondal, S.; Chakraborty, P.; Bairi, P.; Chatterjee, D. P. and Nadi A. K. Chem. Commun., 2015, 51, 10680-10683 (6.567).
9. “Supramolecular Assembly of Polythiophene-g-polymethacrylic acid Doped Polyaniline with Interesting Morphological and Opto-electronic Properties” Sandip Das, Dhruba P. Chatterjee and Arun K. Nandi. J. Mater. Chem. A, 2014, 2, 12031-12042 (I. F. 8.262).
10. “Coupled atom transfer radical coupling and atom transfer radical polymerization approach for controlled grafting from poly(vinylidene fluoride) backbone” Atanu Kuila, Dhruba P. Chatterjee, Rama K. Layek and Arun K. Nandi J. Polym. Sci. Part A, Polym. Chem. 2014, 7, 995–1008.
11. “Amphiphilic poly (N-vinyl pyrrolidone) grafted graphene by reversible addition and fragmentation polymerization and the reinforcement of poly(vinylacetate) films“ Rama K. Layek, Atanu Kuila, Dhruba P. Chatterjee and Arun K. Nandi J. Mater. Chem. A 2013, 1, 10863-74.
12. “A Dual Responsive Water Soluble Polythiophene Graft Copolymer with Logic Operation and Nitroaromatic Sensing” Sandip Das, Dhruba P. Chatterjee, Sanjoy Samanta and Arun K. Nandi RSC Adv. 2013, 3, 17540-17550.
13. “Thermosensitive Water-Soluble Poly(ethylene glycol)-Based Polythiophene Graft Copolymers” Sandip Das, Sanjoy Samanta, Dhruba P. Chatterjee, Arun K. Nandi J. Polym. Sci. Part A, Polym. Chem. 2013, 6, 1417-1427.
14. “Polythiophene-g-poly(dimethylaminoethyl methacrylate) doped methyl cellulose hydrogel behaving like a polymeric AND logic gate” Sanjoy Samanta , Sandip Das , Rama K. Layek , Dhruba P. Chatterjee and Arun K. Nandi Soft Matter, 2012, 8, 6066-72.
15. “Nano-structured poly(3-hexyl thiophene) grafted on poly(vinylidene fluoride) via poly(glycidyl methacrylate)” Sanjoy Samanta , Dhruba P. Chatterjee , Rama K. Layek and Arun K. Nandi J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 10542-51.
16."Triblock Thermoplastic Elastomers with Poly (lauryl methacrylate) as the Centre Block and Poly (methyl methacrylate) or Poly (t-butyl methacrylate) as End Blocks ? Morphology and Thermomechanical Properties)" Chatterjee D. P.; Mandal, B. M. Macromolecules 2006, 39, 9192-9200. (Impact Factor 5.554).
17."Multifunctional Hydrophilic Poly (vinylidene fluoride) Graft Copolymer with Supertoughness and Supergluing Properties" Samanta, S.; Chatterjee, D. P. ; Manna, S.; Mandal, A.; Garai A.; Nandi, A. K. Macromolecules 2009, 42, 3112-3120. (Impact Factor 5.554).
1. “Polymer functionalized graphene via ATRP route for graphene based polymer nanocomposites”, A. K. Nandi, R. K. Layek, S. Samanta and Dhruba. P. Chatterjee in “Graphite, Graphene, and Their Polymer Nanocomposites”
Eds. P. Mukhopadhyay and R. K. Gupta ; CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Florida 2013 (p.393-421).
86/1 College Street, Kolkata - 700073,
West Bengal, India
Email: dhruba.chem at presiuniv.ac.in
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Student Grievance Redressal Committee (SGRC)
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)
How to Find Us
86/1 College Street
Plot No. DG/02/02,
Premises No. 14-0358, Action Area-ID
(Near Biswa Bangla Convention Centre)
Contact details Presidency University Students Corner