About The Department
Originally at the Presidency College, there was no separate department for Hindi. As far as the records of the College go, Hindi appears to have been taught only as a vernacular subject from the year 1928 with only one teacher, Sri Sibnarayan Lala. After Prof. Lala’s retirement in 1955, Sri T. N. Agarwal, a part time teacher, continued to take Hindi classes till 1962, when Sri Premsen Singh took over charge, assisted by Sri Jagannath Seth. In 1972, Sri Sadanand Singh replaced Sri Premsen Singh, while Sri Jagannath Seth continued and was joined by Dr. Subrata Lahiri in 1978. Lator on Dr. Vivekananda Deb joined the department. It was as late as the year 1981 that the Hindi Department was formally opened with only four students and an Honours course of study was offered to the students in 1982. The Department has since steadily grown. The post graduate course in Hindi started from 2002. The strength of the students has surpassed 200 in the department. The department has maintained a holistic approach towards the society and the country. After the retirement of Dr. Subrata Lahiri in 2006. Smt. Rinku Ghosh took the charge of the department. Later she was replaced by Dr. Tanuja Majumdar in June 2007. Under the headship of Dr. Tanuja Majumdar the department established GANDHI CENTER FOR NORTH - EASTERN LANGUAGES, BENGALI, SANTHALI & HINDI on 7th February 2008. It is a joint collaboration of Presidency University and Gandhi Smriti Evam Darshan Samiti, New Delhi.