About The Department
The Department started functioning since 1949 – 50 academic session with Prof. Dr. N. R. Kar (Head), Dr. A. B. Chatterjee and Dr. S. P. Dasgupta, R. K. Basu (Demonstrator), G. C. Roy (Draftsman) and Md. Ramzan Ali (Bearer). Initially, intermediate, pass and honours courses were introduced with part - PG facilities. Seminar Library was set up in the late 1950s, which contains about 2000 titles and back–volumes of several national and international journals. The Geographical Institute, a society of the ex-students was formed in 1970, which organizes seminar lectures, classroom debates, PG students’ seminar, inter-college geo–quiz, map drawing contest, field photograph exhibition, and annual reunion of its members. It also arranges short field trips, brings out wall magazine, photo corner, and bulletins. It also gives away prizes to the toppers in examinations. Full-fledged independent P.G. teaching began in 2001 and subsequently, academic autonomy was awarded and new syllabus with new vision was introduced in 2004. Under the Unitary University status (2010), semester system with new syllabus was introduced since 2011 – 12 session. The department is wellequipped with learning resources and has a brilliant galaxy of alumni comprising eminent geographers working in India and abroad.