About The Department
Bengali as a subject was taught from the very beginning of this Institution, the then Hindoo College, since 1817. Although Bengali was excluded from the syllabi of F.A & B.A courses sometime in 2nd half of 19th century, it was reintroduced early in the 20th century when a combined department of Bengali, Sanskrit and Hindi was created.
Prof. Shibaprasad Bhattacharya, Prof. Sasanka Shekhar Bagchi and Prof. Ashoke Nath Bhattacharya Shastri were some of the eminent teachers of Bengali at that time.
From 1945 the Department of Bengali started functioning independently. The honours course in Bengali language and literature at the undergraduate level was introduced from that time. This marked the beginning of a new history of the Bengali department and among the distinguished alumni who made remarkable contributions in literary, cultural and political fields in India were Shankha ghosh, Sisir Kr. Das, Budhhadeb Bhattacharya, Ujjwal kumar Majumder, Rameswar Shaw, Nirmalendu Bhowmick and Manas kumar Majumder.
Many notable and recognized scholars served this department as teachers, including Prof. Janardan Chakraborty, Prof. Ksudiram Das, Prof. Chintaharan Chakraborty, Prof. Bhudeb Chowdhury, Prof. Bholanath Ghosh, Prof. Haraprasad Mitra, Prof. Bhabatosh Dutta, Prof. Arun Kr. Mukhopadhyay and others.
The Department continues to be enriched by the contributions of eminent guest faculty such as Prof. Pabitra Sarkar, Prof. Pinakesh Sarkar, Prof. Debnath Bandyopadhya, Prof. Sisir kumar Sinha, Prof. Hiren Chottopadhya, Prof. Jibendu Roy and others.
The Department of Bengali offers undergraduate honours and postgraduate courses. The Department is actively engaged in research and publications. The Seminar Library of the Department has a good collection of Text and Reference books.