An enthusiastic learner and Passionate Mentor in the Domain of Synthetic organic Chemistry.
I have spent more than 10 years in-
- Green Synthesis of Biologically Important Molecules
- Purification, Characterization and Spectroscopic Analysis
- Investigation of Anticancer Activity
- Design and Synthesis of Multifunctional Cavitand
- Supramolecular Catalysis and Nano-Organocatalysis
I would love to advance my understanding of the period further such that our research could reenergise and revitalise our society.
B.Sc. in Chemistry (H), Barasat Government College, University of Calcutta (2006-2009)
M.Sc. in Chemistry (Organic Chemistry Specialization), University of Calcutta (2009-2011)
Ph.D. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Calcutta, West Bengal, India. (2012-Feb’2017)
Fellowships and Awards:
1. Professor Asima Chatterjee Young Scientist Award- 2018 on Recent Inventions in Chemical and Allied Sciences. (2018)
2. National Postdoctoral Fellowship from SERB, India in 2017.
3. Green Chemistry Best Poster Prize by Royal Society of Chemistry at NFCFA-2015. (2015)
4. Young Scientist Award (Acharya Prafulla Chandra Ray Memorial Award) by Indian Chemical Society. (2015)
5. Promotion from Junior Research Fellow (JRF) to Senior Research Fellow (SRF)
on the basis of satisfactory research progress. (2014)
6. Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test Exam. (GATE) All India Rank: 149. (2012)
7. Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) funded by CSIR securing All India Rank: 031. (2011)
I felt very lucky to have witnessed and come close to the some great Indian personality. I have got them as my Professor and Mentor.
I have joined the group of Prof. Chhanda Mukhopadhyay, Department of Chemistry, University of Calcutta for my PhD with CSIR fellowship on ‘synthesis of some selective calixarenes and their applications towards useful organic transformations’. I have synthesized multiple novel biologically active heterocyclic cores using green methodologies. I have extended the applicability of calixarene as an organic reaction template (nano-reactor) in water rather than only recognition. During my PhD tenure, I have received ‘Young Scientist Award’ by Indian Chemical Society on 2015 and ‘Green Chemistry Best Poster Prize’ by Royal Society of Chemistry on 2015. I received PhD degree from University of Calcutta, India in 2017.
I have two years of postdoctoral experience in esteemed institute (IACS Kolkata) in India with my own SERB project (NPDF). The topic was ‘development of multifunctional molecular rotors consist of heterocycles based axle and its application towards shuttling’. At that time, I also achieved another 'Professor Asima Chatterjee Young Scientist Award- 2018'.
I have another three years of postdoctoral experience as Research Associate under the mentorship of Prof. Pradyut Ghosh, School of Chemical Science, IACS Kolkata. I have worked on two DST-SERB projects ‘Halogen Bonding (XB) versus Hydrogen Bonding (HB) in Anion Recognition and Sensing’ and ‘development of organo- and transition metal based supramolecular scaffolds towards recognition, sensing and catalytic organic trasformations’. I was appointed as Visiting Faculty in the Department of Chemistry, Rani Rashmoni Green University for a M.Sc. session and also in the Department of Chemistry, JIS University at that time. I have presented several talks and posters in national and international conferences and have authored several international high impacted journals.
After completion of my postdoctorate, I have joined as Assistant Professor in Department of Chemistry at Sister Nivedita University from April 2022 for around two months and finally start my journey in this University from 27th June, 2022.
Research / Administrative Experience+
2017-2019: National Post Doctoral Fellow at School of Chemical Science, IACS Kolkata, India.
2019-2020: Research Associate in a SERB Project at IACS Kolkata, India.
2020-2022: Research Associate in a DST-SERB Project at IACS Kolkata, India.
Teaching / Other Experience+
June 2022 - Continuing: Assistant Professor in Institute of Health Sciences at Presidency University, Kolkata, West Bengal.
April 2022 - June 2022: Assistant Professor in Department of Chemistry at Sister Nivedita University, West Bengal.
Feb 2022 - June 2022: Visiting Faculty in Department of Chemistry at Rani Rashmoni Green Univetsity, West Bengal.
Feb 2022 - April 2022: Guest Faculty in Department of Chemistry at Jis University, West Bengal.
Post Graduate Supervision+
Recognition: Registered for Editorial Manager as a Potential Reviewer for Journal of the Indian Chemical Society
1. The Synthesis of New 8-Imino-1-one Acridine Derivatives Catalysed by Calixarene Monoacid Core
Piyali Sarkar and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Green Chem., 2016, 18, 6556-6563. [Impact Factor: 10.182]
2. First use of p-tert-butylcalixarene-tetra-O-acetate as a nanoreactor having tunable selectivity towards cross azo-compounds by trapping silver ions
Piyali Sarkar and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Green Chem., 2016, 18, 442–451. [Impact Factor: 10.182]
3. p-tert-Butylcalixarene: An Effective Nano-ranged Organocatalyst for the Syntheses of Xanthenes and Acridines
Piyali Sarkar and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Current Organocatalysis, 2016, 3, 205-
215. [Impact Factor: 1.028]
4. Nano-ranged calixarene tetracarboxylic acid catalyzed expeditious protocol for spiro[dihydropyridine-oxindoles] synthesis
Piyali Sarkar and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Tetrahedron Letters, 2016, 57, 4306-4310. [Impact Factor: 2.415]
5. Single step incorporation of carboxylic acid groups in the lower rim of calixarenes: a recyclable catalyst towards assembly of diverse five ring fused acridines
Piyali Sarkar and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Green Chem., 2015, 17, 3452–3465. [Impact Factor: 10.182]
6. p-tert-Butylcalixarene catalysed synthesis of 3,5-dinitrothiophene scaffolds: antiproliferative effect of some representative compounds on selective anticancer cell lines
Piyali Sarkar, Samares Maiti, Krishnendu Ghosh, Sumita Sengupta (Bandyopadhyay), Ray J. Butcher and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Tetrahedron Letters, 2014, 55, 996–1001. [Impact Factor: 2.415]
7. Heteroditopic Macrobicyclic Molecular Vessels for Single Step Aerial Oxidative Transformation of Primary Alcohol Appended Cross Azobenzenes
Sayan Sarkar, Piyali Sarkar and Pradyut Ghosh*, J. Org. Chem. 2021, 86, 6648−6664. [Impact Factor: 4.354]
8. One Pot Dual C-C Coupling Reaction via Site Selective Cascade Formation by Pd(II)- Cryptate of an Amino-ether Heteroditopic Macrobicycle
Sayan Sarkar, Piyali Sarkar, Sandip Munshi and Pradyut Ghosh*, Chem. Eur. J. 2021,
27, 7307 – 73149. [Impact Factor: 5.236]
9. Generation of I-, ArS- and ArSe- substituted pyrrolo[3,4–c]pyridine derivatives using copper iodide as an iodinating agent
Pampa Maity, Piyali Sarkar, Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Tetrahedron Letters, 2021, 85, 153479. [Impact Factor: 2.415]
10. Synthesis of δ,δ-Diaryl-α-cyanoacrylamides and δ,δ-Diarylallylidiene Malononitriles by Pd(OAc)2 Catalyzed Mizoroki-Heck Reaction
Ayon Sengupta, Piyali Sarkar, Suvendu Maity, Soumyadip Basu, Prasanta Ghosh, Sonali Rudra, and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Chemistry Select. 2021, 6, 11047 – 11053.
[Impact Factor: 2.109]
11. Preparation of DABCO?Based Acidic?Ionic?Liquid?Supported ZnO Nanoparticles and Their Application for Ecofriendly Synthesis of N?Aryl Polyhydroquinoline Derivatives Priya Mondal, Sauvik Chatterjee, Piyali Sarkar, Asim Bhaumik, Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Chemistry Select. 2019, 4, 11701-11710. [Impact Factor: 2.109]
12. A heteroditopic macrocycle as organocatalytic nanoreactor for pyrroloacridinone synthesis in water
Piyali Sarkar*, Sayan Sarkar and Pradyut Ghosh*, Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2019, 15,
1505–1514. [Impact Factor: 2.883, corresponding author]
13. Selective Single-Step Oxidation of Amine to Cross-Azo Compounds with an Unhampered Primary Benzyl Alcohol Functionality
Sayan Sarkar, Piyali Sarkar and Pradyut Ghosh*, Organic Letters, 2018, 20, 6725−6729. [Impact Factor: 6.005]
14. Efficient Microwave Synthesis of 2-substituted-3,5-dinitrothiophene Scaffolds and Survey of Their Hollow Microporous Nature
Piyali Sarkar and Chhanda Mukhopadhyay*, Current Microwave Chemistry, 2017, 4, 1-10.
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)