Junaid Jibran Jawed
My core subject is Microbiology and my research interest lies in the field of Immunology and Infectious Disease. My lab is focusing on understanding the basic immune response and singnaling events associated with the establishment and progression of infection taking leishmania as a model. And also exploring the molecular and drug targets and improved drug delivery system to combat the growing problems of drug resistance.
I am passionate about teaching and mentoring research works where teaching with research is an ideal platform to explore more about the theoretical assumptions into practical scenario.
B.Sc - Microbiology (University of Calcutta, 2009)
M.Sc - Microbiology (West Bengal State University, 2011)
Ph.D - Microbiology (Bose Institute/University of Calcutta, 2019)
After completing my postgraduation in microbiology I have worked in a biotech firm for a couple of year in LifeScience division and then started my doctoral research in the lab of Prof. Subrata Majumdar, division of molecular medicine, Bose Institute. During the tenure of my PhD I worked in collaboration with several institute namely Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Tripura University and National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and research. I have studied various techniques to understand immunological events during infection, characterization of virulent factors, natural product isolation and effective drug design and vaccination.
Awards and Recognitions:
1. Awarded Sir Nilratan Sircar Prize for the year 2017 from Bose Institute, Dept. of Science & Technology (DST- Govt. Of India).
2. Awarded Prof. Asima Chatterjee Young Scientist Award- 2018 for the contribution in the research area of chemical biology.
3. Awarded AMI-Young Scientist Award (Medical and Veterinary Microbiology-2021) by the Association of Microbiologist of India.
Research / Administrative Experience+
1. UGC Start Up Research Grant - 2020
Editorial Member of Journals
1. Topic Editor- Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology
Teaching / Other Experience+
Worked for a short period (Jan-Feb 2019) as a Guest Lecturer in the Department of Biological Sciences - Aliah University.
Joined as an Assistant Professor (March, 2019) in the Department of Life Sciences - Presidency University.
Working as Assistant Professor in the Institute of Health Sciences (former School of Biotechnology)- Presidency University Newtown Campus
Post Graduate Supervision+
Registered Ph.D Student
1. Ms. Supriya Mandal - UGC JRF
M.Sc Dissertation Student
1. Ms. Pallabi Biswas
Life Member- The Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA)
Life member- The Association of Microbiologist of India (AMI)
List of Publication
1. MC Das, S Samaddar, JJ Jawed, C Ghosh, S Acharjee, P Sandhu, A Das, AV Daware, UC De, S Majumdar, SK Das Gupta, Y Akhter, S Bhattacharjee. Vitexin alters Staphylococcus aureus surface hydrophobicity to obstruct biofilm formation. Microbiological Research. 2022 July, 127126,
2. KZ Yusuf, W Ansar, A Goswami, S Mandal, H Tahrim, S Poddar, JJ Jawed*. COVID-19 complications and suggested measures: modern tools for intervening pandemic, Journal of Health and Translational Medicine. 2022 Jun, 25 (1), 145-153. *Corresponding Author.
3. Ghosh R, Jawed JJ, Roy N, Mandal S, Majumdar SB, Majumdar S. Regulatory role of Transcription factor-EB (TFEB) in parasite control through alteration of antigen presentation in visceral leishmaniasis. Experimental Parasitology. 2022 Jun 2:108286. doi: 10.1016/j.exppara.2022.108286. *Equal Contribution.
4. Pradhan S, Hore S, Maji SK, Manna S, Maity A, Kundu PK, Maity K, Roy S, Mitra S, Dam P, Mondal R, Ghorai S, Jawed JJ, Dutta S, Das S, Mandal S, Mandal S, Kati A, Sinha S, Maity AB, Dolai TK, Mandal AK, ?nce ?A. Study of epidemiological behaviour of malaria and its control in the Purulia district of West Bengal, India (2016-2020). Scientific Reports. 2022 Jan 12;12(1):630. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-04399-x.
5. Perris A, Bhattacharya S, Jawed JJ, Hoda M. Oncotherapeutic Application of Resveratrol-based Inorganic Nanoparticles. Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. 2021;9(4):271-280. doi: 10.2174/2211738509666210906164727.
6. Das A*, Jawed JJ*, Das MC, Parveen S, Ghosh C, Majumdar S, Saha B, Bhattacharjee S. Lupeol and amphotericin B mediate synergistic anti-leishmanial immunomodulatory effects in Leishmania donovani-infected BALB/c mice. Cytokine. 2020 Sep 28;137:155319. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2020.155319. (*Equal Contributions)
7. Khanra S, Juin SK, Jawed JJ, Ghosh S, Dutta S, Nabi SA, Dash J, Dasgupta D, Majumdar S, Banerjee R. In vivo experiments demonstrate the potent antileishmanial efficacy of repurposed suramin in visceral leishmaniasis. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2020 Aug 31;14(8):e0008575. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0008575.
8. Sannigrahi A, Jawed JJ, Majumdar S, Roy S, Karmakar S, Chattopadhyay K. Protein induced membrane phase transition facilitates leishmania infection. bioRxiv. 2020 Jan. doi: 10.1101/2020.03.08.982454
9. Sannigrahi A, Nandi I, Chall S, Jawed JJ, Halder A, Majumdar S, Karmakar S, Chattopadhyay K. Conformational switch driven membrane pore formation by Mycobacterium secretory protein MPT63 induces macrophage cell death. ACS Chemical Biology. 2019 Jun 26;14(7):1601-1610. doi: 10.1021/acschembio.9b00327.
10. Jawed JJ, Dutta S, Majumdar S. Functional aspects of T cell diversity in visceral leishmaniasis. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2019 Jun 10;117:109098. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2019.109098.
11. Ghosh S, Jawed JJ, Halder K, Banerjee S, Chowdhury BP, Saha A, Juin SK, Majumdar SB, Bose A, Baral R, Majumdar S. TNFα mediated ceramide generation triggers cisplatin induced apoptosis in B16F10 melanoma in a PKCδ independent manner. Oncotarget. 2018 Dec 28;9(102):37627-37646. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.26478.
12. Ghosh C, Sarkar A, Anuja K, Das MC, Chakraborty A, Jawed JJ, Gupta P, Majumdar S, Banerjee B, Bhattacharjee S. Free radical stress induces DNA damage response in RAW264.7 macrophages during Mycobacterium smegmatis infection. Archives of Microbiology. 2019 May;201(4):487-498. doi: 10.1007/s00203-018-1587-y.
13. Jawed JJ, Banerjee S, Bandyopadhyay S, Parveen S, Chowdhury BP, Saini P, Majumdar S. Immunomodulatory effect of Arabinosylated lipoarabinomannan restrict the progression of visceral leishmaniasis through NOD2 inflammatory pathway: Functional regulation of T cell subsets. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2018 Oct;106:724-732. doi: 11.1016/j.biopha.2018.06.167.
14. Jawed JJ, Majumdar S. Recent trends in Leishmania research: A Therapeutic perspective. Journal of infectiology. 2018; 1(3): 1-4. 1. doi: 10.29245/2689-9981/2018/3.1120
15. Sannigrahi A, Chall S, Jawed JJ, Kundu A, Majumdar S, Chattopadhyay K. Nanoparticle Induced Conformational Switch Between α-Helix and β-Sheet Attenuates Immunogenic Response of MPT63. Langmuir. 2018 Jul 31;34(30):8807-8817.doi: 10.1021/acs.Langmuir.8b00354.
16. Parveen S, Chowdhury AR, Jawed JJ, Majumdar SB, Saha B, Majumdar S. Immunomodulation of dual specificity phosphatase 4 during visceral leishmaniasis. Microbes and Infection. 2018 Feb;20(2):111-121. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2017.10.009.
17. Das A, Jawed JJ, Das MC, Sandhu P, De UC, Dinda B, Akhter Y, Bhattacharjee S. Antileishmanial and immunomodulatory activities of lupeol, a triterpene compound isolated from Sterculia villosa. International Journal of Antimicrob Agents. 2017 Oct;50(4):512-522 doi: 1.1016/j.ijantimicag.2017.04.022.
18. Das S, Chowdhury BP, Goswami A, Parveen S, Jawed JJ, Pal N, Majumdar S. Mycobacterium indicus pranii (MIP) mediated host protective intracellular mechanisms against tuberculosis infection: Involvement of TLR-4 mediated signaling. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2016 Dec;101:201-209. doi: 10.1016/j.tube.2016.09.027.
19. Parveen S, Bandhyopadhyay S, Das S, Majumdar SB, Jawed JJ, Chowdhury BP, Saha B, Majumdar S. Mycobacterium indicus pranii (Mw)-mediated protection against visceral leishmaniasis by reciprocal regulation of host dual-specificity phosphatases. International Immunology. 2016 Dec;28(12):585-595. doi: 10.1093/intimm/dxw049.
20. Das A, Jawed JJ, Das C Manas, Daware A, Ghosh C, Acharjee S, Bhattacharjee S. Methanolic bark extract of sterculia villosa attenuate the intracellular leishmanial load through nitric oxide generation and immunomodulation. European journal of pharmaceutical and medical research. 2016 Nov;3(12):347-351.
21. Jawed JJ, Majumder S, Bandyopadhyay S, Biswas S, Parveen S, Majumdar S. SLA-PGN-primed dendritic cell-based vaccination induces Th17-mediated protective immunity against experimental visceral leishmaniasis: a crucial role of PKCβ. FEMS Pathogen and Disease. 2016 Jul;74(5). pii: ftw041. doi: 10.1093/femspd/ftw041.
1. Jawed JJ*. "Role of C-Reactive Protein in Tropical Infectious Diseases". Clinical Significance of C-reactive Protein. Springer, Singapore (2020), 193-212. doi.10.1007/978-981-15-6787-2_7 (*First & Corresponding Author)
2. Jawed JJ, Parveen S, Majumdar S. “Ceramide in the establishment of visceral leishmaniasis, an insight into membrane architecture and pathogenicity. Molecular Biology of Kinetoplastid Parasites. Caister Academic Press, U.K. (2018), 111-118. doi:org/10.21775/9781910190715.07.
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)