I am a linguist by training.
My long-term goal is to assume leadership in academic excellence. In an academic institution, my priority will be to train students for a successful career in literature and Linguistics.
I prefer to teach the advanced courses as well as basic courses (UG/PG level) in Language & Literature. Emphasis is given on interactive teaching.
BA (Hons): Bengali (Jadavpur University)
MA: Bengali; specialization in Linguistics (Jadavpur University); Gold Medal.
MPhil: Bengali; specialization in Linguistics (Jadavpur University)
PhD: Department of Linguistics, University of Calcutta.
From 2009 to 2011, after serving as a Contractual Full Time Teacher and a Govt Approved Part Time Teacher (UG & PG) respectively in the Department of Bengali; Tamralipta Mahavidyalaya, Purba Medinipore, I was appointed as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Bengali, Gauhati University, Assam from 2011 onwards just after the completion of my M.Phil. Then I moved to the Department of Bengali, Presidency University as an Assistant Professor in September 2015.
Research / Administrative Experience+
During my MPhil research, I explored the area of Sociolinguistics, an applied part of Linguistics. Throughout the Doctoral research work, entitled as 'The Syntactic Derivation of Bangla Infinitivals' my interest was in the field of Syntax, a core part of Linguistics. The substantivist model, an alternative approach to the formalistic approach of Mainstream Generative Grammar was followed in this work. We have identified various distinctive features of Bangla nonfinite verbs both in Sadhu & Cholit varieties.
My further research work is going to fulfill the ambition of becoming a substantivist linguist in the future.
Teaching / Other Experience+
Since my joining at Gauhati University in 2011, I started teaching mainly Linguistics and Bengali medieval literature. At present, apart from those two areas I am teaching Drama,Children's literature, 19thC literature and Research Methodology.
Post Graduate Supervision+
At Gauhati University I supervised two students to complete their M.Phil dissertations.
I am interested in supervising the students mainly in the field of Linguistics.
1. Member, Editorial Board, Sahitya takko (Research Journal), ISSN 2320-6160, since 2017.
2. Member, Review Committee, Paitha (Research Journal), ISSN 2277-8942, since 2020.
3. Member, Advisory Board, Lalpari Nilpari (Children's Magazine), ISSN 2394-5656, since 2020.
Published Papers in Journals
- 2012, Premendra Mitrer ‘Shudhu Kerani’: ekti alochona. , (ISSN 2277-8942), Year 1, v. 1; p. 50-54 .
- 2013, Rabindranather krishidarshan: Mulyaon O Prasongikata. , Year 44, v. 176, p578-588, ISSN 0036- 374X
- 2013, Betikromi Madhusudan O Meghnadbadhkavyer Akhyan-Bakyo. Takko, Year 1 v. 2; p16-22, ISSN 2320-6160
- 2013, Manik Bandyopadhyayer Nirbachito Chotogalpo: kichu bhabona. Takko, Year 1 v. 1; p. 88-100
- 2014, Bangla Gadyer Dharay ‘Álali Bhasha’. Takko, Year 2 v. 2; pp. 78-90, ISSN 2320-6160
- 2014, ‘Tanhader Katha’. Takko, Year 2 v1; pp. 230-237, ISSN 2320-6160
- 2015, Hutomer Bhasha ‘Beoarish Bangali’?!. Sahityo TakkoYear 3 v.6; p. 7-23, ISSN 2320-6160
Published Paper in Edited Book
- 2015, Bangla Bhasha Chintay Swami Vivekananda: Phire Dekha. Vivekananda, Edited by Dr Kartick Ch. Mondal, Tamralipta Mahabidyalaya, 254-269. ISBN 978-81-925539-1-7
Published Chapter in Edited Book
- 2015, Balaka, Rabindra-Sahitya, Edited by Dr Amalendu Chakrabarty, Publisher GU-IDOL, p. 57-97. ISBN 978-93-84018-74-0.
86/1 College Street, Kolkata - 700073,
West Bengal, India
Email: devarati.beng at presiuniv.ac.in
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)