Professor ,Dean of Faculty of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
My main research interest is closely related to do experiment in the field of condensed matter physics and materials science. My ultimate aim is to develop new materials for photonic device applications. At present, my interest is to teach all branches of physics at the undergraduate level and condensed matter physics or related subjects at the post graduate level. I did M.Sc. (Physics) with solid state physics specialization (1987) and Ph.D (1993) in experimental solid state physics and materials science: "on the growth and characterization of thin films of Zinc/cadmium- phosphide based compound semiconductors".
- M.Sc.(5 year integrated) Physics (IIT, Kharagpur, 1987)
- Ph.D. (Materials Science, IIT, Kharagpur, 1993)
I did my graduation from the Department of Physics, IIT Kharagpur and Ph.D. from Materials Science Center from the same Institute (IIT). My Ph.D work was on the preparation and characterization of thin films of II3-V2 group compound semiconductors for photovoltaic devices and solid state lasers. I had started my teaching carrier in 1996 as a Lecturer of Physics at the North Eastern Regional Institute of Science & Technology, Itanagar, AP before I was joined in the West Bengal Educational Service in the year 1997. My main research activities include the synthesis and characterization of various types of advanced electronic materials namely, compound (binary & ternary) semiconductors, diamond-like carbon (DLC) films, nanostructured germanium material for light source & flash memory devices, nanocrystalline zinc oxide (ZnO), organic-inorganic hybrid nanocomposites and related materials at the nanoscale for photonic device applications. I have published nearly 30 research articles in the journals of international repute. I have also completed two major research projects funded by DST, Government of India and CSIR, New Delhi. Presently I am supervising in a UGC sponsored research project on the development of Zinc-Tin-Phosphide semiconductor thin film and single crystal for solar cell applications.
Research / Administrative Experience+
My present research is primarily based on the growth of various materials like, Ge nanocrystals, zinc oxide nanocrystals, zinc-tin-phosphide chalcopyrites thin polycrystalline films using ionized cluster beam deposition (ICBD) techniques and studying of their structural, electrical & optical properties.
- · Experimental Solid State Physics & Materials Science
- · Development of Ge and ZnO-based nanomaterials
- · Diamond & Diamond-Like-Carbon Films
- · Polymer-Inorganic Hybrid nanocomposites
- Multiferroic Materials
- · Development of Multi-Junction and Quantum Dot solar cells
Teaching / Other Experience+
I am keenly interested to teach all branches of physics at the undergraduate level and solid state physics/condensed matter physics, electrodynamics or related subjects at the post graduate level. I also conducts general and advance laboratory classes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Post Graduate Supervision+
Name of the Ph.D students (JRF) working under my supervision:
1. Tamaghna Maitra (UGC Fellow)
2. Sukhendu Mukherjee (UGC Project Fellow)
3. Banasree Sadhukhan
I am interested in supervising post graduate students in the area of experimental condensed matter physics and materials science, mainly to develop nanostructured materials. I am well capable of handling various sophisticated and modern analytical instruments in the laboratory.
- Materials Research Society of India (MRSI)
- IACS, Kolkata
- Nayak, A., Rao, D.R., and Banerjee,H.D. (1991) Derivative Spectra of Polycrystalline Zn3P2 Thin Films. Solid State Comm., 78(2) P.149 – 151.
- Rao, D.R., Nayak, A.(1993) Preparation and Characterization of Cd3P2 Thin Films. J. Appl. Phys., 74(1) P. 214 - 218.
- Nayak, A. and Rao, D.R. (1993) Photoluminescence Spectra of Zn3P2 – Cd3P2 Alloy Films. Appl. Phys. Lett., 63(5) P. 592 – 593.
- Nayak, A. and Banerjee, H.D. (1997) Photoluminescence Spectroscopic Investigation on the Quality of Diamond Films Grown in Oxy-Acetylene Combustion Flame. Thin Solid Films, 298 P. 14 – 21.
- Nayak, A. and Banerjee, H.D.(1999) X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Zinc Phosphide Thin Films. Appl. Surf. Sci., 148 P. 205 – 210.
- Nayak, A. and Banerjee, H.D.(1999) X-Ray Photoelectron Spectra of Zn3P2 – Cd3P2 Alloy Semiconducting Thin Films. Matter.Chem. Phys., Vol. 60 P. 95 – 98.
- Halder, S.R., Nayak, A., Chini, T.K. and Bhunia, S.(2010) Strong temperature and substrate effect on ZnO nanorod flower structures in modified chemical vapor condensation growth. Current Appl. Phy., 10 P.942 – 946
- Haldar, I., Kundu, A., Biswas, M., and Nayak, A. (2011) Preparation and evaluation of a poly (N-vinylcarbazole) – Fe3O4 (PNVC-Fe3O4) nanocomposite. Matter.Chem. Phys., 128 P. 256 – 264.
- Haldar, I., Biswas, M., and Nayak, A. (2011) Microstructure, dielectric response and electrical properties of polypyrrole modified poly (N-vinylcarbazole) – Fe3O4 (PNVC - Fe3O4) nanocomposites. Synthetic Metals, Vol. 161 P. 1400 – 1407.
- Haldar, I., Biswas, M., and Nayak, A. (2012) Preparation and evaluation of microstructure, dielectric and conductivity (ac/dc) characteristics of a polyaniline/ poly N-vinylcarbazole/ Fe3O4 nanocomposites. J. Polym. Res., 19 P. 9951:1-9.