Abdus Samad Gayen
Associate Professor and Head of the Department
I enjoy reading, teaching and social service activities. Areas of my academic interest are Indian society and politics, Indian political thought and Comparative politics with special reference to South Asia. I also love literature and comparative religion. I have a special interest in promoting communal harmony. My M.Phil. dissertation was on Communalism in Modern India. Indian thinkers like Gandhi, Tagore, Vivekananda and M.N. Roy are my current research interests. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D. on the ideas of Gandhi and Tagore relating to State and Society.
B.A. (Honours in Political Science), Presidency College (1986);
M.A. in Political Science, Calcutta University (1988);
M.Phil. in Political Science, Calcutta University (1991).
I was born in a village adjacent to South Kolkata. I did my schooling at Ramakrishna Mission, Narendrapur, West Bengal.The broad academic and cultural milieu of this residential Institute introduced me to the greater world of learning and humanity. During my graduation at Presidency College , Calcutta, I developed special interest in the study of Indian society and politics. My College also helped me considerably in reshaping my world view. I did my Masters from Calcutta University where I found some great teachers of Political Science. They reinforced my interest in Indian Politics and Indian Political Thought and broadened my horizon of understanding. Besides, I am fortunate to receive love, affection and guidance from some great personalities like Late Gauri Ayyub, Maitreyi Devi and Swami L okeswarananda.They helped me immensely develop positive orientation towards inter-community understanding and social services.
Research / Administrative Experience+
My research is mainly in the field of Indian politics and Indian political thought. I did my M.Phil in Political Science and the topic of my dissertation was ‘ Marxist understanding of Communalism in Modern India’. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D on ‘State and Society- Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore’.
Teaching / Other Experience+
I have joined Presidency University in December 2012 as an Associate Professor in Political Science. During 1991-2012,I have served different Govt.Colleges under the West Bengal Education Service(WBES) including a six year stint each at the Post-Graduate Department of Political Science, Hooghly Mohasin College , Chinsurah,W.B(1996-2002) and Presidency College ,Kolkata(2006-2012). -Was a resource person in Political science at Netaji Open University during 2008-2011.
-I teach Indian Politics, Comparative Politics, Indian Political thought and South Asia at the Post-Graduate Level. I also teach Political theory ,Indian politics and Comparative Government at the UG level.
Post Graduate Supervision+
Life member, West Bengal Political Science Association.
Life member, Council For Political Studies, Kolkata.
Member,Editorial Board, The West Bengal Political Science Review( Former).
I have written more thant twenty articles in referred jounrals/ edited volumes. A select few are mentioned below:
1) The Hindu-Muslim Question in India : Tagore and Vivekananda ( Socialist Perspective, Vol. 43, No. 1-2, published in February-March, 2017, ISSN 0970-8863 ).
2) ''Reflections of a Creative Genius : Rabindranath on Hindu- Muslim Relations in India'' in Sebak Jana (ed.) Rabindranath Tagore on Economy , Politics and Society ( Dey Book Concern, Kolkata, January,2017).
3) The Idea of 'Swaraj' in Hind Swaraj.( The W. B. Political Science Review,volume xviii,No. 1 and 2, 2015-16
4)“The Essence of “Hind Swaraj’ – A 21st century perspective, ( The W.B. political Science Review, Vol.XV and XVI(Combined), 2012-13
5)‘’ Paribesh Rajniti-o-Antarjatik Prekshit’’ in Goutam Kumar Basu (ed.) Samasamayek Antarjatik Samparka (Kolkata, West Bengal Book Board,2012).(In Bengali)
6) ‘’Rabindranath on Hindu-Muslim Relations in India’’ ( The W.B. political Science Review, Vol.XIV,2011).
7) Role of Ideology in Modern China. (Politicus, Vol.-1,No.2, July – Dec. 2009, Ashutosh College, Kolkata).
8) Review Article on ‘’Gandhi, Gandhism & Our times’’ (The Calcutta Journal of Political Studies,Vol-3&4,No.1&2,March,05)
9) Jayaprakash’s Socioalism – a brief outline.( The W.B. Political Science Review, Vol.- VII,No.1&2,Dec.2004).
10) Rajni Kotharir Dharonay Bharate Jatigathan – O- samprodayikata (The Calcutta Journal of Political Studies,Vol-2,No.1&2, March, 2003) (in Bengali)
11) State and Society in Contemporary India – A growing de-politicisation in Politics ? ( Focus India, Vol-III, March 2002, Hooghly Mohasin College,Chinsurah)
12) Understanding Communalism in India : Louis Dumont revisited.( The W.B. Political Science Review, Vol-IV, No.1&2, Dec,2001.)
13) Defining Communalism in Modern India : A review of the Marxist approach.( Focus India , Vol-II, Veb,2000,Hooghly Mohasim College,Chinsurah)
14) Secularism and the Indian State – some reflections. ( Focus India, Vol-1, 1998, Hooghly Mohasin College,Chinsurah.)