I am a Plant Molecular Biologist. I did my B.Sc in Microbiology and Integrated M.Sc-Ph.D in Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
The wide array of tolerance responses shown by the sessile plants on exposure to environmental stresses has always fascinated me and directed me to explore the molecular mechanism of plant stress biology. During my Ph.D. research I have studied the molecular mechanism of regulation of microRNA biogenesis and their homeostasis during development and stresses in tomato plant. This helped me to boost my interest to further explore the complex molecular interactions happening inside the cell for proper growth and fitness of plant. My long term goal is to understand the molecular mechanism of plants stress responses and further manipulation of the gene expression to increase their fitness and productivity.
B.Sc Microbiology (Honours), University of Kalyani 2008
M.Sc Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Bose institute/University of Calcutta 2010
Ph.D. Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Bose institute/University of Calcutta 2018
Research / Administrative Experience+
My research has largely focused on understanding the regulation of MIR gene expression and miRNA biogenesis in response to development, biotic and abiotic stresses in tomato. Initially characterization of miR167 and identification of major isoform has been done using bioinformatics and molecular biology techniques. In my study, I have dissected the complex regulation of miR167 biogenesis at both transcriptional and processing level. I have uncovered the fact that some transcription factors like NAC and DREB2A etc. are playing major role in transcriptional regulation during stress conditions. I also confirmed the importance of processing regulation in miRNA homeostasis during stress conditions by in vitro processing assays.
During my Research Associationship I have worked on development of optimized toolkit for inducible genome editing and regulation of gene expression in plants.
Teaching / Other Experience+
I have a great passion for teaching. I believe, teaching is an excellent process of mutual learning. Teaching in a research environment is more advantageous to explore the limits of knowledge.
Courses I'm Interested in teaching are- Plant Molecular Biology techniques, Plant stress biology, Concepts of gene, Central Dogma of life, Gene Cloning, Genetics, Plant Biochemistry, Modern biotechnology tools, Plant tissue culture etc.
Post Graduate Supervision+
1. Jodder, J. Regulation of pri-MIRNA processing: mechanistic insights into the miRNA homeostasis in plant. Plant Cell Rep (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00299-020-02660-7
2. Jodder, J. miRNA-mediated regulation of auxin signaling pathway during plant development and stress responses. J Biosci 45, 91 (2020). DOI: 10.1007/s12038-020-00062-1
3. Jayanti Jodder, Rohit Das, Deepti Sarkar, Payel Bhattacharjee and Pallob Kundu. Distinct transcriptional and processing regulations control miR167a level in tomato during stress, RNA Biology (2018). DOI: 10.1080/15476286.2017.1391438
4. Jodder J, Basak S, Das R, Kundu P, Coherent regulation of miR167a biogenesis and expression of auxin signaling pathway genes during bacterial stress in tomato, Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology (2017), DOI: 10.1016/j.pmpp.2017.08.001
- Dean of Students Corner
- Career Counselling
- International Students
- PhD Students
- Grievance Redressal Cell
- Internal Committee for the Students with Disabilities
- Equal Opportunity Cell
- Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Gender Sensitization and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell(GSPSHC)