My research experience in the field of Infectious disease and parasitology over 15 years has been primarily focused on protozoan parasite Entamoeba which cause diarrheal disease. Presently my lab is studying the transcription regulatory networks that control stage conversion in this protozoan parasite that can be used as better drug target to prevent disease transmission.
In particular, my lab is interested on a novel transcription factor, Encystation Regulatory Motif-binding protein (ERM-BP) which is the earliest regulator of encystation identified to date. ERM-BP links to metabolic alterations of NAD+ levels and leads to transcriptional regulation. In response to increased NAD+ levels, it is hypothesized that ERM-BP changes its confirmation and binds DNA. Genetic and biochemical analyses have defined the residues in ERM-BP which are critical for NAD+ and DNA binding. However, there is a huge knowledge gap regarding the mechanistic function of ERM-BP. My lab will now take efforts to further define the mechanistic function of ERM-BP using a combination of genetic, biochemical, structural and chemical biology approaches.
B.Sc. (2001): Microbiology (Hons), Vidyasagar University
M.Sc. (2003): Biotechnology, University of Calcutta
Ph.D. (2010): Cell & Molecular biology, Biochemistry; Bose Institute (affiliated to Jadavpur University)
Fellowships and Awards
2001-2001 National Scholarship Scheme 2001-2002, Ministry of Human Resource
Development, Government of India.
2003 Qualified GATE in Life Science; organized by MHRD, Govt. of India.
2004 Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR-NET) Fellowship organized by ICMR
Government of India.
2010 DST travel grant (Department of Science and Technology, India) to present a
poster at the ASCB meeting at Philadelphia, USA, December.
2019 ‘Ramalingaswami re-entry fellowship’ by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), India
After completion of M.Sc. in Biotechnology I joined at Bose Institute under the supervision of Prof. Anuradha Lohia for my doctoral work. I was working on a project entitled “Isolation of active principles from medicinal plants against human pathogen Entamoeba histolytica”. I had isolated novel anti-amoebic compounds from medicinal plants and tried to understand their mechanisms of action against the human pathogen E. histolytica.
During my first postdoctoral training in Prof. Michael Welte’s Lab in the Dept. of Biology, University of Rochester, USA, I was working on bidirectional motion of ‘cellular cargos’ along the cytoskeletal elements. In particular, I was analyzing the role of a transport regulator protein named “Klarsicht” in the localization of cytoplasmic determinants during Drosophila oocyte development.
During my second postdoctoral training in Prof. Upinder Singh’s Lab at Stanford University, I have characterized the ‘core promoter’ elements in protozoan parasite Entamoeba and identified a novel transcription factor named ERM-BP (Encystation Regulatory Motif-Binding Protein) which is a key regulator of encystation process. I have also identified that ERM-BP is the earliest transcription factor identified in Entamoeba to date, functions downstream of cellular aggregate steps and also response to heat shock.
Research / Administrative Experience+
1. Ramalingaswami Fellow, School of Biotechnology, Presidency University Kolkata, West Bengal, India (2020-present).
2. Research Scientist , Department of Infectious disease, Singh lab, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA ( 2016- 2020).
3. Research Associate , Department of Infectious disease under the supervision of Prof. Upinder Singh at Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA ( 2015- 2016).
4. Postdoc , Department of Infectious disease under the supervision of Prof. Upinder Singh, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA (2012- 2015).
5. Postdoc , Department of Biology under the supervision of Prof. Michael Welte, University of Rochester, NY, USA (2011-2012).
6. Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry under the supervision of Prof. Anuradha Lohia. Bose Institute, Kolkata, India, (2010-2011).
7. PhD Research experience, Department of Biochemistry under the supervision of Prof. Anuradha Lohia. Bose Institute, Kolkata, India, (2004-2010).
8. Summer Industrial Project in Quality Control Department, Mother Dairy, Dankuni, West Bengal (May, 2003).
9. Summer internship, National Center for Plant Genome Research under the supervision of Dr. Debasish Chattopadhyay. New Delhi, India, ( May-July, 2002).
Peer reviewers for journals
1. PlosOne (2 manuscripts)
2. Scientific Reports (1 manuscripts)
3. Parasites & Vectors (2 manuscripts)
4. Frontiers Cellular and infection microbiology (2 manuscripts)
5. Drug Design, Development and Therapy (3 manuscripts)
6. Infection and Drug resistant (6 manuscripts)
7. OncoTargets and Therapy (4 manuscripts)
8. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk (2 manuscripts)
9. International Journal of Nanomedicine (1 manuscripts)
Teaching / Other Experience+
2. Food Biotechnology
3. Downstream Processing
Post Graduate Supervision+
I am looking for postgraduate students for supervising in the field of Parasitology and Infectious Disease. Highly motivated students with CSIR/UGC NET or any other own fellowship having a background in Microbiology/ Biotechnology/ Physiology/Zoology or any other allied disciplines are welcome to contact at firstname.lastname@example.org
Member of ASCB, USA
Member of MPM, USA
A. Research Articles:
1. M, MK Marcoliono*, P Morgado*, D Manna*, H Yee and U Singh (2020). Development of CRISPR/Cas9 system in Entamoeba histolytica: proof of concept. International journal of parasitology. (20)30312. (*Equal contribution).
2. M Sharma, P Morgado, H Zhang , G Ehrenkaufer, D Manna, G Ehrenkaufer and U Singh (2020). Characterization of extracellular vesicles from Entamoeba histolytica identifies roles in intercellular communication that regulates parasite growth and development. Infection and Immunity. 88(10).
3. D Manna , Amado DL, G Ehrenkaufer and U Singh (2020). The NAD+ responsive transcription factor ERM-BP functions downstream of cellular aggregation and is an early regulator of development and heat shock response in Entamoeba. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 10, 363.
4. H Zhang, V Tran, D Manna, G Ehrenkaufer, U Singh (2019). Functional Characterization of Entamoeba histolytica Argonaute Proteins Reveals a Repetitive DR-Rich Motif Region That Controls Nuclear Localization. mSphere. 4 (5), e00580-19
5. D Manna and U Singh (2019). Nuclear Factor Y (NF-Y) Modulates Encystation in Entamoeba via Stage-Specific Expression of the NF-YB and NF-YC Subunits. mBio. 10 (3), e00737-19
6. D Manna, CS Lentz, GM Ehrenkaufer, S Suresh, A Bhat and U Singh (2018). An NAD+-dependent novel transcription factor controls stage conversion in Entamoeba. eLife. 7, e37912
7. H Zhang, GM Ehrenkaufer, D Manna, N Hall, and U Singh (2015). High throughput sequencing of Entamoeba 27nt small RNA population reveals role in permanent gene silencing but no effect on regulating gene expression changes during stage conversion, oxidative, or heat shock stress. PlosOne. 10(8)e0134481.
8. MM Myat, R. Nanjundappa, D Manna, N Xu, U Patel, M Galiano, K Zielinski, A Lam, M Welte (2015). Drosophila KASH-domain protein Klarsicht regulates microtubule stability and integrin receptor localization during collective cell migration. Developmental Biology. 407 (1), 103-114.
9. D Manna, GM Ehrenkaufer, U Singh. (2014). Regulation of gene expression in the protozoan parasite Entamoeba invadens: identification of core promoter elements and promoters with stage-specific expression International journal of parasitology. 44 (11):837-845 .
10. DH Kim, SL Cotton, D Manna and M Welte (2013). Novel isoforms of the transport regulator klar. PLos One. 8(2): e55070
11. D Manna , JS Grewal, B Sarkar, S Maiti and A Lohia (2013). Polyunsaturated fatty acids induce polarized submembranous F-actin aggregates and kill Entamoeba histolytica. Cytoskeleton. 70(5): 260-268.
12. D Manna , PK Dutta, B Achari and A Lohia (2010). A novel galacto-glycerolipid from Oxalis corniculata kills Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia lamblia. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemother. 54(11): 4825-4832.
13. P Boominathan, R Shukla, A Kumar, D Manna, D Negi, PK Verma and D Chattopadhyay (2004). Long term transcript accumulation during the development of dehydration adaptation in Cicer arietinum. Plant Physiology. 135(3): 1608-1620.
1. D Manna* , G Ehrenkaufer*, Amado DL* and U Singh (2020). Entamoeba stage conversion: progress and new insights. Current Opinion in Microbiology. 58.(* Equal contribution).
2. P Morgado*, D Manna* and U Singh (2016). Recent advances in Entamoeba biology: RNA interference, drug discovery, and gut microbiome. F1000Research. 2578. (* Equal contribution)
1. A Lohia, P K Dutta and D Manna, “Novel anti-amoebic and anti- giardial agents from Oxalis corniculata, and process for isolating, purifying and characterizing the same”. A patent application to the patent office, Government of India has been approved. Appl. No. 1686/KOL/2008.
86/1 College Street, Kolkata - 700073,
West Bengal, India
Email: dipak.dbs at presiuniv.ac.in